The Story Behind KublaCon
It’s All About the FUN!
KublaCon is dedicated to bringing people together from all walks of life to congregate in a magical place where games of every imaginable kind can be played as a joyous community.
Our goal is to provide a safe and comfortable space for you and your friends and family where you can immerse yourself in a weekend-long getaway from the real world and join us in a FUN distraction.
We’ve been doing this for the last 20+ years and we invite you to join us in playing games, making new friends and — most importantly — having FUN!!!
How We Got Here
In 1994, KublaCon’s founding Executive Producer, Japji Khalsa and longtime friend, Anthony Galella, produced a one-day Collectible Card gaming event in San Francisco called ManaFest. Proving to be a popular and successful gathering for the CCG revolution, ManaFest continued each year through 2000.
In 1998, KublaCon’s current Executive Producer, Mike Eckert, produced a Memorial Day weekend convention in Oakland called GameCon. GameCon was known for great Roleplaying games, Miniature wargaming and LARPs.
Then in 2000, ManaFest and GameCon began to talk about the relatively small size of their two conventions and the very different types of gamers each convention attracted. Since we all loved gaming of all types, discussions began to create KublaCon – changing the focus from strictly our own segments of gaming, to include all types of gaming.
So, in 2001, the newly merged and formed KublaCon was held in Oakland over Memorial Day weekend. Held every Memorial Day weekend, KublaCon’s first two years were hosted at the Oakland Airport Hilton, but in 2003 moved to the more spacious Hyatt Regency SFO.
By 2018, KublaCon had become so large that the Hyatt was no longer large enough to hold everyone. We first branched out to the Crowne Plaza, the both the Crowne Plaza and the Holiday Inn and now in 2022 we will be adding the Marriott Waterfront to the bevy of host hotels for our awesome attendees.
In 2022, we celebrate 20 years!
The KublaCon Family
Tom Van Zuiden
SALES & MARKETING
HISTORICAL BOARD GAMES
YOUTH & TEEN PROGRAM MANAGER
AUCTION & FLEA MARKET
D&D ADVENTURER’S LEAGUE
PATHFINDER & STARFINDER SOCIETY
PATHFINDER & STARFINDER SOCIETY
GAME LIBRARY ASSISTANT
GAME LIBRARY ASSISTANT
LITTLE PLAYERS LEAD
SPECIAL EVENTS ASSISTANT
PAINTING SOCIAL MEDIA
KUBLABRUSH HEAD JUDGE
EXHIBIT HALL MANAGER
DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS
EVENT TICKETING MANAGER
Convention Safety & Logistics
DIRECTOR OF LOGISITCS
The Mighty Kubla
EXECUTIVE PRODUCER EMERITUS
(May 22, 2003 to May 25, 2018)
Rason ‘Ray’ Sampson
(April 18, 1976 to December 6, 2019)
Ethics & Conduct
Any of the following will be grounds for expulsion from the KublaCon without refund:
- Violating any federal, state or local laws, facility rules or Con policies
- Failure to comply with the instructions of KublaCon Event Staff or security personnel
- Using anything in a threatening or destructive manner against person or property
- Endangering the safety of oneself or others
- Threatening, stealing, cheating or harassing others
If at any time during our show you feel unsafe or feel you were subjected to harassing conduct, please locate a staff member (always in maroon vests) and your concerns will be addressed immediately.
KublaCon’s Code of Conduct applies in all physical spaces within KublaCon’s control. This includes, but is not limited to, event venues and KublaCon social media pages. Occasionally KublaCon is made aware of behavior by participants (or potential participants) that has occurred outside of KublaCon—either online or offline—and is a gross violation of our Code of Conduct. These actions need not occur in KublaCon-affiliated spaces to be considered for sanctions by KublaCon. These include, but are not limited to:
- Individuals who have not attended KublaCon but have a history of abusive behavior and/or known incidents that took place outside KublaCon that may cause risks to a participant’s safety, or which may contribute to a hostile or non-inclusive environment at the convention.
- KublaCon participants who have been reported for outside incidents, including, but not limited to, conduct at other conventions, threatening or abusive behavior online, or assault
We understand that, at times, participants will have disagreements or interpersonal conflicts that do not necessarily escalate to the point of harassment or abuse. KublaCon will not arbitrate such disagreements—we ask that you please leave these conflicts at home.
No Harassment Policy
KublaCon is dedicated to providing a harassment-free and positive experience for everyone. All persons are expected to follow the code of conduct and work to provide a great convention experience.
KublaCon will not tolerate harassment, and reserves the right to revoke badge privileges, remove from the premises, and/or contact law enforcement regarding anyone found to be contributing to an unsafe or hostile convention environment. We ask you to remember that boundaries and comfort levels vary from person to person. Do not assume that a behavior you would find acceptable is therefore acceptable to another person. It is each individual’s responsibility to obtain definitive consent from another person for anything that involves that person. The absence of expressed consent must be treated as refusal. It is likewise every individual’s right to dictate their own boundaries and be respected.
What Constitutes Harassment?
Harassment is generally any behavior that alarms, threatens, demeans or excessively annoys another person or group. Harassment includes offensive verbal comments (related to gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion), sexual images in public spaces, deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, harassing photography or recording, sustained disruption of talks or other events, inappropriate physical contact, unwelcome sexual attention, and false accusations of harassment. Attendees asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
How to Handle Harassment
If you feel that you are being discriminated against or harassed, or if you notice anyone behaving inappropriately (such as violating convention or hotel policies), we respectfully suggest the following:
- If you feel comfortable doing so, calmly point out the inappropriate behavior to the person(s) involved. Often this will solve the problem immediately.
- If you do not feel comfortable doing so, ask a friend or fellow gamer to speak to the person(s) involved on your behalf.
- If you do not feel comfortable talking with the person(s) involved, if talking to them does not resolve the issue, or you are still uncomfortable with the situation please report the situation immediately to any staff member OR
- Text KUBLAHELP to 484848 and a member of our ORLOCK security staff will discreetly contact you for your location and situation via text.
If possible, when reporting please provide a name, and/or physical description of the person(s) involved when reporting an event. Remember that we need information so we can act on any unfortunate incidents during the event to make everyone’s experience a positive one! If you feel that you are unsafe or being harassed, please approach any KublaCon staff member. Your safety and comfort are important to us.
Based on the current advice from the California Department of Public Health (CDPH), the Delta, Gamma, Lambda variants and with attendee safety squarely in sight, vaccines OR a negative COVID test taken within 72 hours of day one of the convention & masks will be required to attend KublaCon 2022.
Children under 12 are CURRENTLY exempt from our vaccine requirement. However, all attendees over the age of 4 will need to wear a mask. This threshold will change as vaccines become available to younger children over the next several months.
Note the following County law for mandatory vaccines for mega events of 1,000 people or more, of which KublaCon is affected: https://covid19.ca.gov/mega-events/
Please understand that this is not an item for debate or negotiation. We are going to follow the advice and directions from the experts at CDPH. You have the option of not attending the show if you disagree. If you are planning on attending the show you will need to follow all the rules and conditions set forth in our policies. Thank you.
Effective date of this guidance is August 15, 2021 (revised & clarified October 20, 2021).
There are no refunds under any circumstances.
If you are unsure about being able to either afford or attend our show, please do not buy a badge to our show. Like a concert ticket or a ticket to a sporting event, there will be no refunds.
However, we acknowledge that things happen. So, if you do buy a badge and/or game tickets and you have to cancel, we will credit your account with those amounts for you to use at a future KublaCon. The only limitation on this is that the request for a credit must be received by us by the Wednesday before the show starts. After that, there will be no badge returns after this point. Again, if you are unsure that you can either afford or attend our show, please do not buy a badge.
No one should tolerate any conduct of this type. Should you experience or witness harassment, you may choose to take any of the following actions:
- If you feel safe and comfortable doing so, ask the offender to stop. Whether the offending behavior is intentional or unintentional, expressing your discomfort to the offender directly often puts a stop to that conduct. Oftentimes, the offending behavior is unintentional, and the accidental offender and offended will resolve the incident by ceasing the behavior and/or apologizing.
- Leave the area. While this may be unfair to you, it is sometimes best for your safety and well-being if you to choose to leave the area, especially if you feel uncomfortable around the offender or their conduct. After separating yourself from the conduct, you may still choose to take additional actions.
- If the offender insists that he/she did not offend, or if the offender continues the harassment after being asked to stop, then you will need a third party to step in. Find a KublaCon staff member (orange shirt) and let them know about the incident. Or, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contact the police or other appropriate authorities. Your health and safety is our most important concern. If you require immediate assistance from law enforcement, medical services, or other governmental entities, please do not hesitate to contact such services directly.
Based on any informal or formal complaint or report of harassment, KublaCon may take the following steps. Note that this list is not exhaustive, and other appropriate action may be taken as necessary. That said, KublaCon staff (maroon vests) will investigate thoroughly any reported incidents of harassment, seeking private accounts of the incident from all concerned parties.
Read and investigate all reports. Reporting parties may be contacted for further clarifying information, unless they have submitted a report anonymously or asked to not be contacted further. Note that KublaCon will not share the results of these reports with anyone, including the person who filed the report, unless required by law.
Intercede if and when appropriate. KublaCon staff may take immediate action to address harassment concerns, including but not limited to, escorting participants to a location in which they feel safe, refunding tickets, cancelling events, moving event locations, requesting participants leave a specific area, removing offenders from the event, or banning offenders from the show. Bans and removals may be on a temporary basis, for the duration of the show, or permanent.
Contact police and medical authorities when appropriate. If, upon review, KublaCon finds that relevant local government officials should be notified, KublaCon may contact such entities and/or share confidential information as required by law.
KublaCon participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately. If a participant engages in harassing behavior, staff may take any action they deem appropriate, including warning the offender, expelling the offender from KublaCon, or banning the offender from the KublaCon gaming community.
Specific sanctions may include but are not limited to:
- Warning the harasser to cease their behavior and that any further reports will result in other sanctions
- requiring that the harasser avoid any interaction with, and physical proximity to, their victim for the remainder of the event.
- Requiring that the harasser immediately leave KublaCon without refund and not return.
- Not allowing a person who violated the policy to attend future KublaCons.
- Ending immediately any gaming events or other event responsibilities and privileges the harasser holds and requiring that the harasser not attend future KublaCons (either indefinitely or for a certain time period) publishing an account of the harassment.
- Permanent ban from any KublaCon sponsored events or online services.
- Reporting of the incident to the appropriate authorities.
KublaCon staff (maroon vests) will help participants contact hotel/venue security or local law enforcement, provide escorts, or otherwise assist those experiencing harassment to feel safe for the duration of the event.
We expect participants to follow these rules in all KublaCon venues, KublaCon-related social events, and online communication channels.
We value your participation in the KublaCon community, and your efforts to keep KublaCon a safe and friendly space for all participants!
We are the sole owners of the information collected on this site. We only have access to/collect information that you voluntarily give us via email, tabletop.events, or other direct contact from you. We will not sell or rent this information to anyone.
We will use your information to respond to you, regarding the reason you contacted us. We will not share your information with any third party outside of KublaCon, other than the below.
*Please note* By acquiring a game ticket to any specific gaming event at our show, you are giving us the express permission to share your contact information with the GM or organizer of that event, should they request it. GMs/organizers often want to contact their players before their event in order to share information about that specific gaming event.
Fire Arms Policy
Real firearms are not allowed at KublaCon. This includes those attendees who maintain a conceal carry weapons permit from any state. (Sworn law enforcement are excused from this policy.) Attendees who choose to ignore this policy may be asked to leave the convention and may have their badge revoked.
Lost or Misplaced Badges & Event Tickets
We cannot replace lost, stolen or forgotten badges and/or event tickets. Please be responsible with your KublaCon materials. Lost, stolen or forgotten items must be re-purchased at full cost. It is recommended you check with the KublaCon Registration Desk to see if your materials have been turned in to Lost & Found. Convention Academy, LLC assumes no responsibility for lost, stolen or forgotten materials. We are not sending anything through the mail. All badges and tickets will be Will-Call.
Waiver of Liability
The purchase of a KublaCon badge admits one person to all basic activities and exhibits at KublaCon during regularly scheduled hours for the day(s) it is purchased. Some designated activities may require payment of a separate, additional fee. In accepting a badge and in consideration for being admitted to KublaCon, the holder consents to being recorded (by audio and/or visual means) for exhibition and exploitation by any means in all media, including without limitation the Internet, worldwide in perpetuity. The badge holder releases KublaCon & Convention Academy,LLC from any liability for loss or damage to persons or property, infringement of any right, or any other claim or course of action of any kind; authorizes and permits Convention Academy, LLC and its designees which includes but is not limited to all sponsors, exhibitors and contractors to use and authorize the use of his/her name, voice, likeness and all reproductions thereof by any means and in all media now and hereafter known, including without limitation the Internet, for all purposes worldwide in perpetuity; and agrees to comply with all the rules and regulations of the Event. Convention Academy, LLC reserves the right to deny entry or remove from the Event facilities any person who in its sole and absolute discretion is behaving or threatening to behave in a manner which it reasonably considers to be disruptive of the KublaCon.
How to Get in Touch
Online Contact Form:
Please choose the tab corresponding with the type of comment or concern you would like to send us.
By Mail, Send Inquiries to:
KublaCon Game Convention
PO Box 2199
El Granada, CA